Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Stoners

I was inspired by Singlebarbed's Mutt Stoneflies and decided to try and tie up my own. I haven't really tried to tie a stone fly before - mainly because I'm a midge guy and can't tie anything larger than an 18! These guys are tied on size 14's so this is a huge stretch for me!

Let me know what you think. I stuck with pure black models - black biots for the tail, black vrib for the segmented body, black wooly yarn for the body, black thin skin for the shuck and black ostrich for the hackle - with white and black rubber legs colored to taste for the legs.






1 comment:

Chris said...

nice bugs! check out a pattern called the "north fork special" if you're looking for stoneflies. doesn't use the turkey slips for the wingpads, but rather uses biots for the legs. a little easier than i'm guessing this one would be and looks just as good, especially if you're casting to dumb fish....;-)