Saturday, July 05, 2008

RMNP Fishing - July 5, 2008

I fished RMNP today with Chad and Matt - it was great to get up there this year. I headed out the door at 5am and picked them up at Chad's house around 5:30am. We hit the RMNP booth at Estes Park just before 7am and hit our fishing destination (a secret) soon after. The hike in is a killer - 1 mile and 850 ft of elevation gain - wears you out. But hearing the river makes you keep going, and thank God you are doing this hike up in the morning - because if you had to hike in on the way out you would drop dead!
The water was much higher than previous years - and we have fished this river the last two years on the same weekend. The fish were still active and were right along the edges and in the slower water. I cught fish right off and missed a bunch too. The day was beautiful, slightly overcast and hot - about 80-85 degrees. The scenery is beautiful and amazing. The fish are equally as beautiful and amazing. They aren't huge, but as you can see they are very colorful. I did catch a cuttbow, which was my largest fish of the day at 12 inches. We headed out about 3pm and I was home by 5:45pm. Overall it was a great day - not the 60 fish day I usually have up there - but about half that.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: