Saturday, March 15, 2008

Saturday, March 15, 2008 - South Platte River above Chatfield

Saturday, March 15, 2008 - South Platte River above Chatfield
Cold morning - around 28 degrees at 7am, 50 by noontime. Flows were about 41 cfs and the water was slightly off color.

I'm not going to write much because it was a waste of our time. The river was frozen, the water was very low (from what we heard it was much much higher the week before and fishing great). Looking at the chart it was flowing at 120 cfs last weekend - so 3X what it was today. Nate and I hit the river and decided to fish our way from the bridge in Chatfield to the mouth of the reservior. We had heard that the fishing was great the weekend before with a friend of mine pulling our a 22 inch rainbow. I have never had success on this stretch as it seems stagnant and smells aweful. We fished a nice looking stretch early - then I worked my way down river to the delta - only to see the thing completely frozen all the way down - no where to fish.

We fished back down under the bridge, and I snapped off in a bush overhanging the water and reeled in - I was done. We were home by 11:15am. It was nice to fish so close to home - but we didn't even SEE a fish! It was nice to check this stretch out though - so I'm looking forward to tossing streamers at the delta for walleyes and trout. There were a lot of people out there today - most of them cursing Charlie Meyers for writing that article in the Post a couple of weekends ago!

No comments: