Saturday, March 29, 2008

brandon722 Saturday, March 29, 2008 - South Platte River - Cheesman Canyon

Saturday, March 29, 2008 - South Platte River - Cheesman Canyon
Flows 101 cfs - water was crystal clear. Weather was bright deep blue sky with puffy clouds - 30 degrees in the morning and over 60 degrees by the afternoon - just a perfect weather day.

Cabo and I met Chad and his buddy Michael at Cheesman at around 7am. If you can believe it - I was the first car in the lot - this is a first. Usually there is always someone in there early, and 7am is hardly early for that place. I was feeling kind of sick, so I didn't really want to go - but I thought it would make me feel better. I started losing steam around noontime and was headed back to the truck around 1pm. I managed to catch one brown - very colorful, about 16 inches long, but snake skinny. I really couldn't find the fish and I am turned off to Cheesman - the place just doesn't fish the way it used to.

I got back to the truck and headed to Deckers - where I'm more familiar with where the fish are. The water was offcolored because the weather was so nice and Muddy Creek was flowing in at the bridge in Deckers. I did manage one tiny rainbow on a SJW. Then the wind started getting to me and we left. I was home by 3:15pm. Now I feel like crap and need to sleep.

Just a couple of other thoughts - it was amazing to see so many grasshoppers out for March. They were everywhere, but obviously the water wasn't high enough to see any kind of "hatch". I did see a ton of caddis as well that were flying all over the place.

No comments: