Sunday, August 18, 2024

CC - August 17, 2024



I had a day to fish this weekend and wanted to go check out new water - well, maybe not new, but water I haven't been to in many, many years. I left around 7am and headed out 285 and turned right at Grant and up and over Guanella Pass. The river there looks really nice on the Grant side, but I didn't stop to fish it. I hit the top of Guanella Pass and was surprised to see a few hundred cars parked along the road - I'm not sure what was going on, but it was about 9am and that was a lot of activity. I kept rolling down the pass and into Georgetown. Clear Creek would have to do today - so I hit it in a few spots. I don't want to hot spot any creeks or rivers, but this one is tough to hide - especially with the highway noise in your ear all day. This creek is pretty amazing - and holds some fun fish. The abuse this creek takes is amazing, from bait fishermen who keep everything, to the litter, to the pollution that runs off the highway, to the huge amounts of snowmelt it consumes and flushes itself with - this river takes a lot of abuse. But it holds its own and is resilient.

The fish weren't hitting the surface as much as I thought, but it was still active. The water was pretty warm - ad that may have slowed the fishing. Lots of little bows and browns on the mini-hopper or the perdigon. I did manage one great fish - a big bow that went probably 16 inches and in great shape. I may have caught this fish last year in pretty much the same spot - but it wasn't as big last year. Great day - a little frustrating at times - but fish were still caught. Headed to Wyoming to drop off the daughter next weekend - hoping to get out in the morning next Saturday with a buddy.

No comments: