Monday, August 07, 2023

South Park Creeks - 8/5/23

 Fished South Park on Saturday - had to get up into the mountains.

Caught some stocker bows and cuttbows in a lake, and then headed to a small creek to catch some browns and brookies - grand slam kinds day.



This guy slammed a hopper about the size of his head.

Funny story - the creek I fished had a ton of beaver ponds (for the record I hate beaver ponds as you can't wade in them very easily and you can never tell if the bottom is three inches deep of mud, or 3 feet of mud).  I was fishing the creek in front of a log jam - and decided to fish just above it - I flipped my hopper fropper rig above the jam and I hooked a fish - and you know you have about .2 seconds to get him out of the hole before he runs under the log jam or bank and snap your rig, so I put pressure on him and tried flipping him into the creek below the log jam.  However, this was a really good sized fish - and he didn't come out of the water on my first try, so I tried again and he must have been coming to the surface already and when I did I launched him directly at me in the lower level.  I did a bit of a body bump to keep him from going by me and he knocked into the water at my feet - unfortunately he came unbuckled and sat at my feet - probably in shock from what just happened (or my ugly face).  He was a 14 inch brown that was pretty fat - obviously I was in his primary eating domain!!  Great fish.

Jefferson Lake, such a pretty lake - unfortunately way too much litter and powerbait containers around the lake.  Had about 30 stockers sitting at the inlet to the lake - they were fun to catch on hoppers.

Saw this gal enjoying the beaver ponds.


All the pretty ladies.


No comments: